Finance Ministry Building, Central Jakarta

Location of Treasury Building is at Jl. Lapangan Banteng Timur No. 2, Pasar Baru, Sawah Besar sub-District. The building, formerly known as Het Groote Huis or Het Witte Huis, was founded on March 7, 1809 at the beginning of administration of Governor-General Daendels (1808-1811) as a palace in the center of the New Capital of Weltevreden.

The materials used to construct the building were taken from Kasteel Batavia that had been broken down in the same year. However, because he was suddenly called by Napoleon in 1811 to serve as commander at Fort Modlin in Poland, Daendels had no time to complete the construction of the palace.

Thatched roof then was installed by Janssen, Daendels' successor, on the part of the unfinished building. It was Ir. Tromp who completed construction of the Neo-Reinessance architectural style building in 1826-1828 as ordered by Governor-General Du Bus de Ghisignies. The building's inscription reads "MDCCIX - Condidit Daendels, MDCCCXXVIII - Erexit Dubus" is still kept in the Cathedral.

The main building was designed as a residential place of the Governor General. While the left-right wings building are used for offices, guests of the State, horses and chariots. Architect who worked on it is Ir. Lt. Col. J.C. Schultze.

When completed, the lower part was used by Post Office and Government Printing, and other buildings was used by the High Court (Hoogeregtshof, Hoogerechter, Algemene Secretarie). On May 1, 1948, the High Court (Hoogeregtshof) moved to the Supreme Court building which is located in the north of the Palace.

Finance Ministry Building

Address: Jl. Lapangan Banteng Timur No. 2, Kelurahan Pasar Baru, Kecamatan Sawah Besar, Central Jakarta. GPS Location: -6.169121, 106.836762, Waze. Related: Map of Jakarta . Destinations in Jakarta . Hotel in Central Jakarta.
Like | Tweet |